Mahindra Thar to get 2-wheel drive variant soon
The Mahindra Thar is set to receive a new entry-level variant in its line-up. The new model will feature the same 2.2-litre diesel and 2.0-liter turbo-petrol engines but Mahindra will do away with the four-wheel drivetrain, which will save costs and enable the Thar to fall under the lower tax category because it is under four meters long.
The reduced sticker price of two-wheel drive is, however, its greatest benefit. The Thar four-wheel drive now ranges in price from Rs 13.59 lakh to Rs 16.29 lakh (ex-showroom). For those who prefer it without four-wheel drive, the rear-wheel drive model is projected to start around Rs 12 lakh, making it a substantially more alluring choice.
Two-wheel drive is anticipated for the 150PS 2-liter turbo-petrol and 130PS 2.2-liter diesel engines, which will be mated to 6-speed manual and automatic gearboxes.
This is a savvy move on the part of the Indian car manufacturer to appeal to a larger audience with a more reasonably priced lifestyle SUV. This tactic could be specifically directed against Maruti, which is getting ready to introduce the Jimny to the Indian market.
Starts Rs 9.8 Lakhs
- Toyota showcased modern and sustainable technology range at Auto Expo 2023
- 2023 Hyundai Aura launched, prices start from Rs 6.29 lakh
- Car sales January 2023: Maruti Suzuki, Kia, Tata Motors, and more
- Yamaha MT 15 V2.0 updated with BS6 2 norms details leaked
- Hero Xoom launched in India, prices start from Rs 68,599