SAIC previews Roewe R-Aura Concept EV flagship in sketches
Roewe, a premium brand owned by the makers of MG Motor, SAIC, has unveiled the first renders of its new flagship EV concept. The Roewe R-Aura Concept will make its global debut on May 10.
The R-Aura carries a striking four-door coupe look, with heavily accented lines along the car's beltline and over the wheelarches. This is complemented by the heavily sloped roofline, and the slim all-LEd lighting elements. Other sporty elements are the enlarged wheels, the protruding front splitter that curves into what looks like a carbon rocker panel and ends with the large diffuser at the rear of the car.
More tech visible in these photos is the solar-panel roof, the rear-view cameras, a 5G connectivity suite and an external touchpad for entry into the car. Details about the R-Aura are scarce as of now but we think this could be pitched as a rival to the Tesla Model S, and come with a dual-motor AWD set up that draws juice from a roughly 90 kWh battery. We expect the range to be upwards of 600km in the top versions and a 0 to 100 kmph time of around 3s.
The R-Aura will launch a new high-end EV-only sub-brand called R. The premium Roewe brand was founded in 2006 and through it SAIC caters to buyers in its home-market who are looking for a home-grown substitute for foreign brands from Japan and Europe.
- Electric vehicles - Why they don't have a gearbox and how it's possible to go as fast backwards, as forward
- Honda Drive to Discover 10: A new discovery with the City, WR-V, Amaze and Jazz
- Maharashtra lockdown: How to maintain your vehicle while you stay at home
- Government confident of local manufacturing of lithium-ion EV batteries by 2022
- 2021 Triumph Trident 660 first ride review