SAIC previews Roewe R-Aura Concept EV flagship in sketches
Roewe, a premium brand owned by the makers of MG Motor, SAIC, has unveiled the first renders of its new flagship EV concept. The Roewe R-Aura Concept will make its global debut on May 10.
The R-Aura carries a striking four-door coupe look, with heavily accented lines along the car's beltline and over the wheelarches. This is complemented by the heavily sloped roofline, and the slim all-LEd lighting elements. Other sporty elements are the enlarged wheels, the protruding front splitter that curves into what looks like a carbon rocker panel and ends with the large diffuser at the rear of the car.
More tech visible in these photos is the solar-panel roof, the rear-view cameras, a 5G connectivity suite and an external touchpad for entry into the car. Details about the R-Aura are scarce as of now but we think this could be pitched as a rival to the Tesla Model S, and come with a dual-motor AWD set up that draws juice from a roughly 90 kWh battery. We expect the range to be upwards of 600km in the top versions and a 0 to 100 kmph time of around 3s.
The R-Aura will launch a new high-end EV-only sub-brand called R. The premium Roewe brand was founded in 2006 and through it SAIC caters to buyers in its home-market who are looking for a home-grown substitute for foreign brands from Japan and Europe.
- Mercedes-Benz service: Putting luxury car ownership within reach
- Why are manufacturers like Ford shutting their plants in India?
- Top 10 best selling cars in India 2021 - Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai dominate
- 2021 MG Astor midsize SUV revealed with level 2 autonomy and AI assistant
- Tata Punch interiors leaked ahead of launch, features revealed