Fernando Alonso confirms participation in Dakar 2020 with Toyota
Fernando Alonso has confirmed that he will compete in the Dakar 2020, racing with the Toyota team. Alonso will be part of Toyota's four-driver squad at the event, and will drive a Toyota Hilux.
Since August 2019, the double F1 champion has been training for the Dakar, and has also competed in a couple of rally raids as preparation for the event. He will now go the distance, competing in the 12-day rally, with Dakar-winner Marc Coma as his co-pilot.
Alonso will be hoping that the 2020 Dakar has a better outcome than the rallies he has competed in as preparation for the event. At the Lichtenberg 400 in South America, Alonso had a soft roll on the 27th kilometre of the event. This resulted in a broken windscreen, which they needed to remove before they could continue on the event, resulting in a loss of time. While the windscreen was repaired by the crew, a bird strike during the second loop resulted in the same problem once again. At Rally Morocco, Alonso crashed on the third stage, resulting in broken suspension on his Hilux.
Alonso's participation in the Dakar comes after his attempt to win the Triple Crown of Motorsport, which includes winning the Monaco GP, the Indy 500 and the Le Mans 24. Of these, the Indy 500 win still eludes him.
The 2020 Dakar will begin on January 5th in Saudi Arabia.
- Mercedes-Benz service: Putting luxury car ownership within reach
- Why are manufacturers like Ford shutting their plants in India?
- Top 10 best selling cars in India 2021 - Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai dominate
- Tata Punch interiors leaked ahead of launch, features revealed
- 2021 MG Astor midsize SUV revealed with level 2 autonomy and AI assistant