OD SUV Slugfest: Jeep Wrangler
Traces its DNA to the WWII model Willys MB, also known as Jeep. This makes the Wrangler the direct descendent of the first real SUV ever.
Styling and street presence
Design is clearly from the original Jeep, with modern additions and adaptations. The harmonious fusion of old and new gives it a lot of character. The street presence is enormous and only matched by the Mercedes-Benz G-Class. Like the G63, it has round H4 headlights from the 70s with halogen bulbs.
Seating and visibility
You have to climb in and the upright windscreen offers a good view that is only partially obstructed by the A-pillars. Old style wipers clean a fair area.
One of the most capable off-roaders in the world. It has 4WD with low ratio and the heavy duty axles and suspension give it go anywhere capability.
Strong skid plates for transfer case and fuel tank, but limited space, especially in the two door version.
Touring ability and performance
On road performance is fairly decent.
Four-wheel drive works well and braking is confident too. But not meant for fast stage times.
Price: Rs 78.07 lakh (on-road, Mumbai)
Engine type: 2.8D/200PS/460Nm
Fuel Economy: 12.1kmpl
Fuel capacity and Range: 85l/1,075km
4WD lock: Yes
Diff Lock: Yes
Ground Clearance: 186mm
Dimensions (LWH) mm: 4,583 x 1,877 x 1,829
Weight: 2,119kg (gross)
Off-Road Driving Modes: No
Headlight Washers: No
Boot Capacity: 884l
Starts Rs 53.9 Lakhs
Starts Rs 1.5 Crore
- Top 5 best-selling cars in India December 2021 - Maruti Suzuki and Tata Motors cover top spots
- India-spec 2022 Toyota Hilux unveiled ahead of March 2022 launch
- 2022 Tata Safari Dark Edition launched in India, prices start from Rs 19.05 lakh
- Toyota to launch Creta-rivalling SUV in 2022 with Maruti Suzuki, new MPV in 2023
- 2022 Tata Tiago iCNG and Tigor iCNG: Prices and variants explained