Dakar 2019: Joan Barreda Bort and Nasser Al-Attiyah top timing sheets in Stage 1
The 2019 edition of the Dakar began on 7th January, with competitors heading from Lima to Pisco. The Dakar, held entirely in Peru this time, saw competitors travel 247km of liaison, and 84km of Special Stage during the first leg of the event, with the dunes in Peru throwing navigational challenges aplenty their way.
Joan Barreda Bort airborne en route victory at Stage 1 of Dakar 2019
Emerging at the top of the timing sheets in the Moto category of the event was Joan Barreda Bort of the Monster Energy Honda team. Second in the timing sheets is Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing's Pablo Quintanilla. Barreda Bort's Honda team-mate Ricky Brabec is third in the Moto class after Stage 1.
Nasser Al-Attiyah (QAT) and Matthieu Baumel (FRA) of Toyota Gazoo Racing SA Team took Stage 1 victory in the Car category
Nasser Al-Attiyah led the charge for Toyota in the Car category, topping the timing sheets. Finishing second in Stage 1 was 2018 Dakar winner Carlos Sainz in the XRaid Mini JCW. While third in the Car class was Orlen XRaid's Jakub Przygonski.
Eduard Nikolaev topped the truck category in that massive blue and white Dakar Kamaz, while Nicolas Cavigliasso took the stage 1 win in the Quad class. Monster Energy Can-Am's Reinaldo Varela topped the SxS class in Stage 1.
The Sherco TVS Factory Rally team also had a solid first stage with Michael Metge finishing 12th, Adrien Metge 24th and KP Aravind 71st.
- 2022 Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder: More interior details revealed
- 2022 Mahindra Scorpio-N unveiled in India, bookings open July 30
- 2022 Maruti Suzuki Ertiga CNG review, road test - the best CNG car you can buy?
- 2022 Mahindra Scorpio-N launched in India, prices start from Rs 11.99 lakh
- Upcoming Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza to be available in 4 variants and 9 colour options