Volkswagen offers first look at the new Polo GTI R5
Volkswagen Motorsport has finally offered us a first look of their all-new Polo GTI R5, the car with which the VW name will make a return to the WRC2 championship in 2018. While there will be no factory effort, VW does intend to provide technical support and backup to its customers. The GTI R5 will begin testing soon, after which it will be on sale, available to customer teams.
Volkswagen will make the 270 hp rally version of the Polo available to professional teams and aspiring drivers to enable them to compete in championships across the globe including the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC).
"With the Polo GTI R5 we are hoping to transfer our expertise from four WRC titles to customer racing successfully, and offer a first-class racing machine for countless rally championships from national series to the WRC," said Volkswagen Motorsport Director Sven Smeets. "Before the first race outing next year, we will subject the Polo GTI R5 to rigorous testing to make sure it is prepared for the extremely varied track conditions around the world."
The GTI R5 is based on the sixth-generation Polo, which is expected to be launched later this year.
Starts Rs 6.17 Lakhs
- Upcoming 2022 Maruti Suzuki Alto specifications leaked
- Mahindra drop another teaser showing off the upcoming EVs infotainment
- 2022 Renault Kiger review, first drive - small changes add up
- More details leaked ahead of the launch of the new Maruti Suzuki Alto
- Maruti Suzuki Baleno-based SUV to make debut in 2023?