Uber orders 1 lakh Mercedes-Benz S-Class cars
According to a German publication, taxi service provider Uber has placed an order of 1 lakh Mercedes-Benz S-Class limousines. These cars will feature autonomous driving technology aimed at cutting down the rising cost of drivers.
Presently, the Mercedes-Benz S-Class doesn't feature complete autonomous technology which is expected to arrive by 2020. Back in 2013, Mercedes-Benz had showcased a S-Class with self-drive that covered a distance of 103km between German towns of Mannheim and Pforzheim. Other than Benz, carmakers like Nissan, BMW, Ford, GM, Tesla etc are planning to launch self-driven models by 2020. These cars, however, will be subjected to a host of tests and validations thereby making them road legal only by 2025 or later.
The German publication further reports that the details of the Uber Mercedes-Benz deal are still not clear however is believed to help the loss making taxi service provider by reducing the cost of drivers.
Starts Rs 1.57 Crore
- Toyota showcased modern and sustainable technology range at Auto Expo 2023
- 2023 Hyundai Aura launched, prices start from Rs 6.29 lakh
- Car sales January 2023: Maruti Suzuki, Kia, Tata Motors, and more
- Hero Xoom launched in India, prices start from Rs 68,599
- Toyota continues to be world's largest carmaker third year in a row