Skoda may drop the Rapid AT in India, will bring in Rapid TSI instead
Volkswagen has just announced that it is dropping the Vento AT as it has been replaced by the new Vento TSI. The Vento AT was powered by a 1.6-litre petrol engine mated with a 6-speed torque convertor. The new Vento TSI uses a more advanced turbo petrol that displaces just 1.2 litres but makes an identical 105PS and considerably more torque. Even the gearbox is a far more accomplished 7-speed DSG.
Now, considering that the Rapid is essentially a restyled Vento with identical mechanicals under the skin it's safe to assume that Skoda too will be adopting the TSI engine and DSG gearbox for the Rapid. The Rapid AT, like its Volkswagen brother is available in only one trim and offered only average performance and efficiency while being rather expensive. The TSI powered car makes for a much better value as you now get brisk performance and much better efficiency (the Vento TSI offered about a 40 per cent improvement in efficiency). If Skoda does bring in the Rapid TSI we expect them to continue selling the 1.6 litre petrol variant with a manual transmission as VW has done with the Vento. The diesel will also continue to be on sale with a five-speed manual. Both the manual petrol and diesel will continue to be offered in three trim levels while the TSI will likely be sold as a single, premium offering.
Starts Rs 7.49 Lakhs
Starts Rs 8.78 Lakhs
- C'est Francaise C'est Citroen - Why You Need The French Beauty Citroen C5 SUV In Your Life
- Tata Punch interiors leaked ahead of launch, features revealed
- Top 10 best selling cars in India 2021 - Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai dominate
- 2021 MG Astor first look: Interior and tech impressions
- 2021 MG Astor midsize SUV revealed with level 2 autonomy and AI assistant