SIAM: Passenger vehicle and 2-wheeler sales up to 13% higher YoY in November 2020
The Society of Indian Automotive Manufacturers has released production data for passenger vehicles, two-wheelers, quadricycles and three-wheelers for November 2020. The numbers show a 2.73 per cent growth in production over the same period last year with 2,319,845 units being produced against 2,258,290 units.
In terms of sales, those of passenger vehicles grew by 12.73 per cent to 2,85,367 units. This growth has been spurred along by the sharp rise in the sale of utility vehicles, more specifically compact SUVs, which grew by 17.16 percent over last year. Other body styles accounted for a 10.50 per cent rise.
The SIAM data also shows that two-wheeler sales have grown by 13.43 per cent, but with other data suggesting that retail sales of two-wheelers have remained depressed even in the festive season, these sales could be to make up for earlier orders or to add to dealer inventory. Scooter sales grew by 9.29 per cent to 5,02,561 while motorcycle sales grew to 10,26,705 units with a 14.9 per cent rise. Mopeds sales grew by a strong 22.94 per cent while 363 electric two0sheelers were sold in the country.
The three-wheeler segment seems to still be affected by the pandemic and its consequences on public transport. Sales dropped by 57.64 per cent with passenger three-wheeler accounting for a 69.81 per cent drop.
- Top 5 best-selling cars in India December 2021 - Maruti Suzuki and Tata Motors cover top spots
- 2022 Tata Safari Dark Edition launched in India, prices start from Rs 19.05 lakh
- Toyota to launch Creta-rivalling SUV in 2022 with Maruti Suzuki, new MPV in 2023
- 2022 Tata Tiago iCNG and Tigor iCNG: Prices and variants explained
- Yezdi is back, three bikes launched; price range 1.98 - 2.09lakh