Second-gen 2020 Mahindra Thar seen again ahead of India debut
The second generation of the Mahindra Thar is expected to debut at the 2020 Auto Expo early next year. We've seen a steady stream of spy photos of the new 4x4 in the past few months and this new set of pictures seem to further add to the anticipation surrounding this car.
The front fascia carries forward the Jeep CJ derived look from the present car, complete with the 7-slat grille and with a slight roundedness. But the wider track and protruding wheel arches are more purposeful. There also seems to be a more advanced suspension set-up. It is expected to carry forward the retro Jeep CJ inspired styling of the current car but with many of the rough edges smoothed out.
The spare wheel also continues to be rear-mounted and the rear door will side-hinged. These images also show that the new Thar will be significantly larger than the current car. It seems much wider too. The off-roader could sit on a redeveloped version of the ladder-frame chassis from the upcoming Scorpio or even a RWD version of the more advanced modular structure from the Marazzo.
Spy images have shown that the Thar's interiors are more upmarket and SUV-like with the steering-mounted controls, large MID and chrome surrounds for the AC controls. The plastic quality seems better and the layout quite a bit more modern, thanks to the large round AC vents. The passenger grab handle and a floor-mounted 4x4 shifter remind of its outdoor capability.
Image source: Zigwheels
Starts Rs 9.8 Lakhs
- Electric vehicles - Why they don't have a gearbox and how it's possible to go as fast backwards, as forward
- Honda Drive to Discover 10: A new discovery with the City, WR-V, Amaze and Jazz
- Maharashtra lockdown: How to maintain your vehicle while you stay at home
- 2021 Audi Q4 e-tron electric SUVs debut with up to 520 km range
- 2021 Skoda Kodiaq facelift unveiled, India launch by July