Renault India planning to launch compact SUV
In India, Renault's product portfolio comprises of the Kwid small car, Pulse hatchback, Lodgy MPV and the Duster SUV, Amongst them, it is the Kwid that is selling the most. In fact the success of the Kwid has even got Maruti Suzuki worried. The Renault Kwid is clocking sales of around 9,000 units on a month on month basis. Renault India ended 2016 with a market share of around 4.5 per cent and understandably the Kwid had an important role to play.
Encouraged by the success of the Kwid, Renault India is planning to introduce more models with a highly localised content to keep prices competitive. According to an Economic Times report, the carmaker is planning to introduce a premium small car which will be positioned above the Kwid as well as a compact SUV. Sumit Sawhney, CEO and managing director of Renault India has said that the company is looking at expanding it's portfolio.
Although Sawhney didn't reveal any specific details, he said that the company is looking at segments above the Kwid. "We will surely have one car launch every year. This will happen as our distribution and sales footprint get stronger," he said.
Commenting on the Kwid Sawhney said, "Localisation was the key behind the success of the car." He also revealed that the new products will be an integral part of the company's strategy.
The Renault Kaptur has been caught testing in India. It is based on the Duster platform and is expected to be launched by the end of this year.
Starts Rs 2.83 Lakhs
Starts Rs 2.92 Lakhs
- FeaturesAtal Tunnel Rohtang: Benefits and Precautions -- Insights from Vijay Parmar, organizer, Raid De Himalaya
- NewsMaharahtra government in talks with Tesla to set up India facility
- NewsRenault expands Indian presence, with 34 new sales and service touchpoints
- Review2020 Hyundai Tuscon facelift road test review
- NewsFacelifted Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 Coupe SUV to launch in India on November 3