Production version of the Kia SP Concept spotted testing in new spy video
Images have appeared on the internet which show the production version of the Kia SP conept undergoing testing. This is the first car that the Korean carmaker will sell in India.
The spy video shows a heavily camouflaged SUV but it is clear that a lot of the concept's design cues will make it to production. The overall blocky shape of the car remains but creases and surfacing has been toned down to make for a viable production car. The front fascia retains the concept large two-part grille while the headlamps, though not as large, retain the same basic shape and layout. Naturally, the over-sized wheels and large contoured bumpers have been toned down too.
The production version of the SP is expected to name the Kia Tusker and will sit on a platform derived from the Hyundai Creta. New powertrain options will be available. This includes a new BS-VI compliant 1.5-litre diesel motor which is expected to put out 115PS and 250 Nm. The 1.6-litre diesel unit from the Creta will be replaced by this. A new petrol, also of 1.5-litre displacement, will also be made available. This motor is also expected to support hybrid powertrain components by 2023.
Kia will be hoping its products make the same impression on Indian buyers that its sister brand Hyundai has managed in the last 20 years. Kia's products add a more youthful, lively driving experience to the traditional Hyundai attributes of good design quality and value. It is expected that the company's first crossover for India will follow this template. The Kia SP/Tusker crossover is expected to make its debut in late 2019.
Starts Rs 9.99 Lakhs
- NewsDucati India commences pre-bookings of Multistrada 950 S BSVI, launch on November 2
- NewsUpcoming KTM Adventure motorcycles: 250 Adventure launch in November 2020, 890 Adventure expected in 2021
- News2020 Bajaj CT 100 KS, priced at Rs 46,432, is the most affordable 100cc motorcycle
- NewsMercedes-Benz India delivers 550 cars during Navratri and Dussehra 2020
- NewsMaruti Suzuki Baleno reaches 8 lakh sales milestone in 5 years