Next Generation Skoda Rapid design sketches unveiled - India launch expected in 2021
Skoda Rapid sedan is the entry-level vehicle in the Skoda India's line-up, however, the sedan has been long in the tooth. Recently, Skoda has unveiled the design sketches of the next-generation Rapid which could replace the Indian model by 2021.
The sketches reveal the fascia of the sedan which is reminiscent of the current car, however, with bolder lines. The grill gets a vertically slotted design with chrome surrounding it. The shoulder line is flat and runs parallel to the window sill across the length of the car.
Upcoming Skoda Rapid's design sketch
The new car will be based on the MQB platform that also underpins the Volkswagen Vitrus, Skoda Kamiq and Skoda T-Cross internationally. However, the MQB platform will be exclusive to the European spec sedan, while the India spec Rapid will be based on the MQB A0-IN platform (An Indianised adaptation of the MQB platform). The India spec model will be dimensionally smaller to the European spec Skoda Rapid and will have drivetrain options much suited for our conditions.
Picture of the current generation Skoda Rapid on sale in India
Current the Skoda Rapid uses a 1.6-litre four-cylinder petrol engine which is expected to be replaced by a 1.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine producing 115PS and 200Nm of torque. The new engine could be mated to a six-speed manual or a seven-speed DSG gearbox.
Starts Rs 7.49 Lakhs
Starts Rs 10.9 Lakhs
Starts Rs 9.31 Lakhs
Starts Rs 8.2 Lakhs
Starts Rs 25.99 Lakhs
- Top 5 best-selling cars in India December 2021 - Maruti Suzuki and Tata Motors cover top spots
- 2022 Tata Safari Dark Edition launched in India, prices start from Rs 19.05 lakh
- Toyota to launch Creta-rivalling SUV in 2022 with Maruti Suzuki, new MPV in 2023
- 2022 Tata Tiago iCNG and Tigor iCNG: Prices and variants explained
- Yezdi is back, three bikes launched; price range 1.98 - 2.09lakh