MotoGP 2016: Marquez wins Aragon GP
Marc Marquez celebrates his win at Aragon with a wheelie
A solid win at Aragon helped Marc Marquez increase his lead at the head of the MotoGP World Championship standings. The Repsol Honda rider, started the race from pole, but ended up dropping to fifth place on the third lap of the race. Marquez put in a solid performance though, climbing his way up the order and taking the lead once again on the eleventh lap of the race.
The person Marquez had picked off to move into the lead, happened to be Valentino Rossi, who was at the head of the order at that point. However, Rossi didn't manage to retain his second place either, with Movistar Yamaha team-mate, Jorge Lorenzo making a move on him. Rossi attempted to reclaim second towards the closing stages of the race - the penultimate lap to be precise - however, he ran off track. Ultimately, he needed to settle for third. Marquez, meanwhile, crossed the chequered flag 2.7 seconds ahead of Lorenzo.
Finishing third in the race meant that Rossi now is behind Marquez by 52 points, with four races to go. Marquez, 248 championship points aside, had other reasons to celebrate at Aragon, for he also equalled Mick Doohan's career tally of race wins - 54.
Fourth place at Aragon went to Ecstar Suzuki's Maverick Vinales, while LCR Honda's Cal Crutchlow finished fifth. Marquez's team-mate, Dani Pedrosa claimed sixth place. The second Ecstar Suzuki of Aleix Espargaro finished seventh, while brother Pol Espargaro finished eighth astride the Tech3 Yamaha. Gresini Aprilia's Alvaro Bautista and Stefan Bradl rounded off the top 10.
Nicky Hayden scored one point, finishing 15th, as he completed his MotoGP comeback as a replacement rider for Jack Miller.
- NewsCar Sales November 2020: Hyundai India records highest ever numbers for the month
- NewsCar sales November 2020: Kia Sonet becomes bestselling compact SUV again
- NewsCastrol India launches Power1 Ultimate full synthetic two-wheeler engine oil
- NewsYamaha FZS FI gets a Vintage Edition with BT connectivity, priced at Rs. 1.09 lakh
- NewsNovember 2020 sales: Bajaj Auto sells 3.84 lakh two-wheelers, registering a growth of 12 per cent