Mercedes-Benz X-Class pickup truck could get V8 option
The Mercedes-Benz X-Class is a pick-up truck that the carmaker sells in Europe, parts of Asia and Australia. The car is similar in function to something like the Isuzu D-max sold here but is obviously more upmarket. In fact, the X-Class is closely related to the Nissan Navara pick-up truck. But given the more up-market positioning, it comes with a nicer interior and most safety and comfort features you would expect to find in a car of this class.
The X-Class currently comes in three engine options internationally. There are two diesels, the first is a 2.3-litre four-cylinder Nissan derived motor which puts out 163PS/190PS and 403/450 Nm. The second diesel option is the recently launched 3.0-litre V6 which puts out 258PS and 550Nm. A 2.0-litre petrol engine is also available with 166PS. These are mated to a 6-speed manual or 7-speed automatic. Four-wheel drive is also available.
Interestingly, a Mercedes representative has stated that the company could also look at a V8 option for this vehicle. This will most likely be a detuned version of the 4.0-litre twin-turbo AMG V8 which should put out around 450PS.
The X-Class pick-up truck, if launched in India, could be a great niche product for Mercedes-Benz. The company has been very aggressive with its product launches in India of late and this vehicle may appeal to buyers looking for a cheaper but hardier alternative to the company's lineup of SUVs and crossovers.
Starts Rs 31.72 Lakhs
- No Down Payments, No Hassles! 5 Great Advantages Of Maruti Suzuki Subscribe
- Want A New Car Without Hassles? Maruti Suzuki Subscribe Has Got You Covered!
- Vehicle Scrappage Policy - the complete picture - all you need to know
- Honda CB500X Adventure tourer India launch expected soon, could be priced at Rs 5.5 lakh
- Vehicle Scrappage Policy - Views of T. R. Raghunandan, Ex-IAS officer