Mahindra may offer XUV Aero with electric powertrain
Mahindra, which recently announced that it will be investing heavily in electric mobility, is looking to expand its electric product portfolio globally. One of the new electric cars, one which will be sold in India, could be an electric version of the XUV Aero concept which we saw at the 2016 Auto Expo. However, this depends on how much it would cost to manufacture the high voltage powertrain for the vehicle. Currently, Mahindra has two electric powertrains 48V and 72V systems. If the electric XUV Aero does become a reality, it will probably run on a new 380V powertrain which Mahindra is working on. This powertrain will probably be used in other SUVs and MUVs in the future.
The Mahindra XUV Aero concept, which was showcased at the 2016 Auto Expo featured the XUV500's 2.2-litre diesel engine, that was retuned to handle upto 210PS and 470Nm of torque. The power output from the new electric powertrains that Mahindra is developing, is expected to range from around 40PS to 200PS, while range will be significantly better than in the existing cars between 200-300km or more. Mahindra is planning on developing and locally manufacturing the new electric powertrains, motor controllers, systems integration and battery technology. This should help bring down the overall costs of the cars too.
- 2022 Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder: More interior details revealed
- Mahindra Scorpio-N Vs Mahindra XUV700: What's different?
- 2022 Maruti Suzuki Brezza facelift dimensions, variants revealed ahead of launch
- 2022 Mahindra Scorpio-N unveiled in India, bookings open July 30
- Live updates: 2022 Mahindra Scorpio N launch, price reveal, interiors, mileage, specifications, engine, features, safety