Hyundai 45 EV concept teased ahead of Frankfurt debut
Hyundai has teased a new electric car concept ahead of its debut at the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show on September 10. The Hyundai 45, as it is being called, follows a neo-retro design theme in homage to brand's earliest global offerings from the 1970s.
This theme is evident is the exaggerated boxy fastback styling of the concept. The squared arches, flat roof, and angular body panels are all reminiscent of cars from that era, more specifically the 1975 Hyundai Pony. This's car's influence is also evident in the double-barrel lighting elements both front and back, and in the slim grille upfront. There are more throwbacks to the era in the retro Hyundai lettering and the large dot-matrix style display at the rear of the car.
The 45 name is again a throwback to the Hyundai Pony. The car was launched 45 years ago and is notable for being the first car to have been developed in South Korea. Before this, Hyundai had been building Mitsubishis and Fords under license. The Pony was a significant step forward, Hyundai hired a team of engineers from British Leyland to develop the car, using drivetrain components from Mitsubishi while Italdesign Giugiaro was tasked with coming up with the four-door hatch design.
There aren't more details available on the 45 but we suspect it could use the Hyundai Kona Electric's running gear. The 45's closest rival is the smaller similarly retro-themed Honda e. So expect around 300 km of range and a roughly 10s 0 to 100 kmph acceleration time.
Starts Rs 23.72 Lakhs
- NewsEuro V compliant 2021 Ducati Streetfighter V4 and V4 S: Everything to know
- NewsDelhi government accelerates EV charging infrastructure plans
- NewsTwo-Wheeler Festive Offers: Gift vouchers worth Rs 6,000 on Okinawa electric scooters
- NewsDucati India commences pre-bookings of Multistrada 950 S BSVI, launch on November 2
- NewsUpcoming KTM Adventure motorcycles: 250 Adventure launch in November 2020, 890 Adventure expected in 2021