Honda City pips the Hyundai Verna to be the best selling C-segment sedan in India
Honda Cars India Limited has sold 7,184 units of the Honda City in January and 7,213 units in February. At the same time, Hyundai managed to sell 3,803 units of Verna in January and around the same number in February. The upward trend is expected to continue on the back of strong demand for the diesel City and also with the production of the petrol variant starting just late last month.
Hyundai Verna Fluidic has long been the bestselling sedan in the competitive C-segment, primarily because of a new design and a wide range of variants. The Honda City on the other hand was lagging behind for the want of a diesel engine in its lineup. With the introduction of the Earth Dreams 1.5litre i-D-tec diesel in the City the car has managed to outsell the Verna in the months of January and February, and by a huge margin.
The Verna still has the better engine range with four options compared to the City's two engine offerings and Hyundai in an effort to counter the City had also launched a CX variant with more features but that too failed to bring in the numbers due to the Japanese manufacturer's strong image and the City's competitive pricing.
Honda City diesel
In a bid to reclaim the top spot, Hyundai has offered meaty discounts and immediate deliveries to customer coupled with a strong marketing campaign for the Verna.
Read our comparison between the Honda City diesel and Hyundai Verna diesel here
Starts Rs 10.9 Lakhs
Starts Rs 9.31 Lakhs
- Top 5 best-selling cars in India December 2021 - Maruti Suzuki and Tata Motors cover top spots
- 2022 Tata Safari Dark Edition launched in India, prices start from Rs 19.05 lakh
- Toyota to launch Creta-rivalling SUV in 2022 with Maruti Suzuki, new MPV in 2023
- 2022 Tata Tiago iCNG and Tigor iCNG: Prices and variants explained
- Live updates: 2022 Toyota Hilux India unveil, expected prices, interiors, mileage, specifications, engine, features, safety