First major sales milestone for the Hyundai Kona Electric as it crosses over a lakh sales globally
Earlier this year EVs under the Hyundai-Kia badge made news for representing 9.9 per cent of the global electric vehicle market share, and now the Hyundai Kona Electric has a major achievement to its name, with over a lakh vehicles sold globally. Launched internationally in March 2018, the Kona Electric has sold over 75 per cent of its total number in markets outside of its home market of South Korea. Notably, Hyundai has become the fourth largest manufacturer of EVs behind Tesla, Nissan-Renault and the VW Group.
The Kona Electric was launched in India only a year back, making it India's first practical EV, and has since sold over 400 units in the country. Priced at Rs 23.7 lakh, ex-showroom, the five-seater SUV gets it juice from a 39.2kWh battery pack, and has an official ARAI range of 452km. Powered by a 136PS/395Nm torque electric motor, the Kona EV offers more than adequate performance, with a charge time of about six hours to full, using the supplied 7.2kW wall charger.
Hyundai currently has two EVs in its range globally, with the Ioniq Electric sedan being the other all-electric model it makes. The production version of the 45 SUV concept is expected in 2021, as well as a production version of the Prophecy concept, all riding on the new Electric Global Modular Platform (E-GMP). In total, Hyundai plans to have 16 new EVs in its lineup by 2025.
Starts Rs 23.72 Lakhs
- FeaturesReplicas of "World's First Car" being made in Coimbatore
- NewsDucati teases a new Monster, to be unveiled on December 2
- NewsGovt of India: Only BIS certified two-wheeler helmets can be manufactured and sold in the country
- NewsHonda Activa 20th Anniversary Edition launched at Rs 66,816
- NewsTVS Motor Company launches new augmented reality based smartphone application