F1 2016: Rosberg secures pole at the first European GP in Baku
Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg secured pole position at the first ever European GP at the Baku City Circuit in Azerbaijan. A blisteringly quick 1:42.758 lap time marks Rosberg's third pole position in the 2016 season. Force India's strong performance at the new city circuit was evident with Sergio Perez securing P2 with a lap time of 1:43.515.
Lewis Hamilton on the other hand had a hard time at qualifying today, getting blocked by Hulkenburg, plenty of near misses with the barriers. Hamilton eventually collided with one in Q3, forcing him to retire and settle with P10. The real 'on-the-edge-of-your-seat' moment however, was in the final moments of qualifying, when RBR's Daniel Ricciardo and Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel set identical lap times of 1:43.966. Ricciardo will start the race at P3 in front of Vettel due to the Australian completing the lap first.
Meanwhile, both Mclarens couldn't keep up with the pack and settled with Alonso at P14 and Button at P19.
The European GP will commence tomorrow at 13:00 GMT.
- Nissan Magnite: Best-in-class, throughout
- Top 10 best selling cars in India 2021 - Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai dominate
- Jeep Meridian 7-seater SUV spied testing in India ahead of early-2022 launch
- Production-spec Mahindra XUV700 leaked ahead of launch, interior teased
- Top 5 most fuel efficient SUVs in India