EICMA 2015: Yamaha MT-03 unveiled
Yamaha showcased the new MT-03 at the EICMA 2015, the naked version of its R-series motorcycle, the YZF-R3. Essentially a Yamaha R3 without the fairing, the MT-03 shares all the mechanicals with its faired sibling.
Visually, the changes are the single headlamp, flat and raised handlebar, instrument cluster, tank extensions and stickering on the bodywork. Although the rear section is similar to the YZF-R3, Yamaha has managed to lend the MT-03 an individual character. The minimal body panels have left the beautiful steel trellis frame exposed and in the contrasting shade of blue it adds to the street fighter appeal. A short belly pan hangs below the frame and complements the overall styling of the MT-03. The wheels and tyre size are similar to the YZF-R3.
The Yamaha MT-03 gets the same motor too. The liquid-cooled parallel twin engine produces 42PS and 29.60Nm. We've tested the YZF-R3,both on the track as well as on the road and we loved the smooth and refined nature of the engine. The Yamaha MT-03 is 4kg lighter than the YZF-R3, thanks to lesser bodywork, and that lends the naked motorcycle a better power to weight ratio.
With the Yamaha YZF-R3 already on sale in India, Yamaha India may get the MT-03 to India sooner than expected. The company may also showcase the motorcycle at the 2016 Delhi Auto Expo. TheYamaha MT-03 will be up against the KTM 390 Duke, Benelli TNT300, Kawasaki Z250 as well as the upcoming BMW G310 R.
For more news on EICMA 2015, click here.
Starts Rs 2,52,928
Starts Rs 3,50,180
- 2022 Maruti Suzuki Brezza facelift dimensions, variants revealed ahead of launch
- Mahindra Scorpio-N Vs Mahindra XUV700: What's different?
- 2022 Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder: More interior details revealed
- 2022 Mahindra Scorpio-N unveiled in India, bookings open July 30
- Live updates: 2022 Mahindra Scorpio N launch, price reveal, interiors, mileage, specifications, engine, features, safety