Car Sales December 2020: Maruti Suzuki posts more than 20 percent growth over last year
Maruti Suzuki, India's largest carmaker, has stated that it sold 20.2 per cent more cars in December 2020, compared to the same month in 2019. The company sold 1,60,226 units last month. These included domestic sales of 146,480 units and 3,808 units supplied to Toyota.
The compact segment, consisting of the WagonR, Swift, Celerio, Ignis, DZire, Baleno and commercial offerings like the Tour S has been the most successful for Maruti Suzuki. This accounted for 77,641 units, a significant 18.9 per cent increase over the 65,673 units last year. The utility vehicle segment has been the next most lucrative for Maruti Suzuki, posting an 8 per cent growth over last year, 25,701 units of vehicles like the Gypsy, Ertiga, XL6, S-Cross and Vitara Brezza were sold.
The sedan segment has been the least kind to the brand, possibly due to the influx of a number of new or updated rivals. Sales of the Ciaz have dropped by a significant 28.9 per cent compared to last year to 1,270 units. Numbers of the S-Presso and Alto have remained consistent at 24,927 units, a 4.4 per cent increase.
Notably, the CV segment has been the most lucrative overall for the brand. Sales of the Omni and Eeco grew by 46.9 per cent to 11,215 while those of the Super Carry LCV grew by a massive 259.9 per cent to 5,726 per cent. Export sales were another notable are of increase, growing by 31.4 per cent to 9,938 units.
- Tata Tiago EV launched in India, prices start from Rs 8.49 lakh
- Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara launched in India, prices start from Rs 10.45 lakh
- Facelifted Tata Harrier spotted testing, expected to debut in early 2023
- Are Hybrids the Answer? And Should The Path To Electric Mobility Be Via Strong Hybrids?
- Price Comparison: Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara Vs Hyundai Creta Vs Skoda Kushaq Vs Kia Seltos Vs Volkswagen Taigun Vs MG Astor