BMW i8 to be launched in India on February 18, 2015
And it's official - BMW will launch the highly anticipated i8 supercar in India on February 18. The launch will take place in Mumbai. The i8 will be the first hybrid supercar in the country and is expected to start an all-new segment and pave the way for its younger sibling, the i3 which will be launched sometime later this year.
A 231PS twin scroll turbo 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine that drives the rear wheels powers the BMW i8. Driving the front wheels is a 131PS electric motor. In pure electric mode, the car can cover 37km and reach a top whack of 120kmph. BMW says that the batteries will last the life of the car.
On pressing the throttle, the petrol engine chips in, taking the car from nought to 100kmph in 4.4 seconds with a claimed fuel efficiency of 48kmpl as per European Cycle. BMW says that it is possible to achieve 20kmpl or thereabout in real world conditions, making it the most efficient supercar on the planet as of now.
The interiors of the car look futuristic as well with the dials changing colour depending on the mode selected. There is also the head up display which shows all the required information on the front windscreen.
Expect the new i8 to be priced around Rs 1.5 crore, ex-showroom.
We've driven the BMW i8. Click on the links below to see our drive impressions of the first hybrid supercar to make it to India:
Starts Rs 2.62 Crore
- FeaturesReplicas of "World's First Car" being made in Coimbatore
- NewsDucati teases a new Monster, to be unveiled on December 2
- NewsGovt of India: Only BIS certified two-wheeler helmets can be manufactured and sold in the country
- NewsHonda Activa 20th Anniversary Edition launched at Rs 66,816
- NewsTVS Motor Company launches new augmented reality based smartphone application