BMW i8 to be launched in India on February 18, 2015
And it's official - BMW will launch the highly anticipated i8 supercar in India on February 18. The launch will take place in Mumbai. The i8 will be the first hybrid supercar in the country and is expected to start an all-new segment and pave the way for its younger sibling, the i3 which will be launched sometime later this year.
A 231PS twin scroll turbo 1.5-litre three-cylinder engine that drives the rear wheels powers the BMW i8. Driving the front wheels is a 131PS electric motor. In pure electric mode, the car can cover 37km and reach a top whack of 120kmph. BMW says that the batteries will last the life of the car.
On pressing the throttle, the petrol engine chips in, taking the car from nought to 100kmph in 4.4 seconds with a claimed fuel efficiency of 48kmpl as per European Cycle. BMW says that it is possible to achieve 20kmpl or thereabout in real world conditions, making it the most efficient supercar on the planet as of now.
The interiors of the car look futuristic as well with the dials changing colour depending on the mode selected. There is also the head up display which shows all the required information on the front windscreen.
Expect the new i8 to be priced around Rs 1.5 crore, ex-showroom.
We've driven the BMW i8. Click on the links below to see our drive impressions of the first hybrid supercar to make it to India:
Starts Rs 2.62 Crore
- C'est Francaise C'est Citroen - Why You Need The French Beauty Citroen C5 SUV In Your Life
- 2021 Volkswagen Taigun launched in India, prices start from Rs 10.50 lakh
- Top 10 best selling cars in India 2021 - Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai dominate
- Indian Highways - And the disappearance of trees and milestones
- Price and Spec Comparison: Volkswagen Taigun vs Skoda Kushaq vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs Tata Harrier vs MG Hector