BMW i4, first ever all-electric sedan from BMW, to launch in 2021
BMW has revealed its first ever all-electric sedan, the BMW i4, based on the firm's CLAR underpinnings that the 3 and 4 Series are based on. While specifics aren't yet confirmed, BMW has dropped hints with the i4 Concept, as showcased last year. It points at the BMW i4 being powered by a 530PS electric motor in its most powerful M Performance guise, and the BMW i4 is likely to be the first M Division electric vehicle.
An estimated 80kWh battery pack will be available, with the option of rear- and all-wheel drive in the future. Driving range is estimated at 600 kilometres (WLTP), with 150kW charging abilities able to replenish 100km of driving range in just six minutes. A 0-100kmph run in under 4.0s is expected for the range-topping car. This puts the BMW I4 squarely against the Tesla Model 3, currently the world's best-selling EV, and the recently introduced Polestar 2. BMW has gone a step further, and has reportedly commissioned renowned composer Hans Zimmer to create a synthesised electric motor soundtrack for the car!
The BMW i4's styling follows quite closely to the i4 Concept's design, which in turn will resemble the upcoming 4 Series Gran Coupe. The BMW i4 will likely have better aerodynamic efficiency on its side, with the blocked off grille, extended rear diffuser and flush door handles. Electric blue trim around the car will help set it apart from non 'i' branded models. More information on the BMW i4 should be coming our way soon.
- Top 5 best-selling cars in India December 2021 - Maruti Suzuki and Tata Motors cover top spots
- 2022 Tata Safari Dark Edition launched in India, prices start from Rs 19.05 lakh
- India-spec 2022 Toyota Hilux unveiled ahead of March 2022 launch
- Toyota to launch Creta-rivalling SUV in 2022 with Maruti Suzuki, new MPV in 2023
- 2022 Tata Tiago iCNG and Tigor iCNG: Prices and variants explained