Auto Expo 2014 : Hero Leap unveiled in India
Hero intends for the Leap to be India's first hybrid scooter on sale and while it debuted as a concept at the 2012 Auto Expo, the 2014 model on the Hero stand is said to be far further along the road to series production. The scooter uses a Li-ion battery and an electric motor to give it a total of just under 11PS of power while a 125cc engine that drives the rear wheel direct via a belt is the internal combustion end of the hybrid.
The 140kg scooter wears a 3-litre fuel tank and has a 13in front alloy wheel and a 10 inch rear. In looks, the Leap is unique and not the best looking scooter you'll ever see. But the steel framed Leap, with fuel injection, regenerative braking and its 340km range is a promising idea that will be expensive when Hero puts it on sale but a huge statement in terms of Hero's ability to deal with and productionise new technology.
UPDATE: Hero will launch the Leap in the second half of next fiscal
- 2021 Force Gurkha deliveries begin across India
- Comparison review: Jeep Compass vs Citroen C5 Aircross
- Near-production Skoda Slavia spied ahead of early 2022 launch
- 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta Limited Edition launched with added tech features, prices unchanged
- Top 10 best selling cars in India 2021 - Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai dominate