2019 Merzouga Rally: Hero MotoSports rider Joaquim Rodrigues ranked second overall after Stage 3
The third stage of the 2019 Merzouga Rally entailed good fortune for one Indian racing team and mixed fortunes for the other Indian racing team competing in the event. While the Hero MotoSports Team Rally outfit did very well, there was bad luck for the Sherco TVS outfit, with Michael Metge retiring from the rally due to issues with his motorcycle.
Hero MotoSports rider Joaquim Rodrigues is ranked second overall after Stage 3 of the 2019 Merzouga Rally
The 229.59km Stage 3 was divided into two parts - 89km and 107km each. Both involved tricky navigation, and also required the riders to be extremely sharp and focussed to get to the marathon bivouac, where the first part of the marathon stage would, naturally, conclude.
The two Hero riders, Joaquim Rodrigues and Oriol Mena had a strong stage, ending second and third overall. Which also put them second and third overall in the rankings with two stages left in the rally.
TVS Racing rider Abdul Wahid Tanveer is ranked third overall in the Enduro class of the 2019 Merzouga Rally after three stages
However, it was mixed fortunes for the Sherco TVS squad. Their star rider, Michael Metge, had to retire from the rally facing issues with his motorcycle. This left Aravind KP in the 450 class and Abdul Wahid Tanveer in the Enduro class. Tanveer ended the third stage second in the Enduro class, which put him third overall in the Enduro category at the end of three stages. Aravind ended the stage 32nd, which puts him 62nd overall after three stages of the rally.
Provisional Rankings of the Stage 3
1. Adrien Van Beveren, Yamaha Racing, 03h 25m 31s
2. Joaquim Rodrigues, Hero MotoSports, +02m 23s
3. Oriol Mena, Hero MotoSports, +03m 08s
4. Alessandro Botturi, Africa Dream Racing, +03m 33s
5. Sebastian Buhler, Buhler Racing Team, +03m 54s
Provisional Overall Rankings after the Stage 3
1. Adrien Van Beveren, Yamaha Racing, 11h 00m 49s
2. Joaquim Rodrigues, Hero MotoSports, +16m 00s
3. Oriol Mena, Hero MotoSports, +25m 16s
4. Jacopo Cerutti, Solarys Racing, +25m 28s
5. Ross Branch, BAS Dakar Team, +26m 55s
- 2022 Kia EV6 review, first drive - a surreal experience
- 2022 Mahindra Scorpio officially revealed ahead of June 27 launch, to be named Scorpio-N
- 2022 BMW i4 electric 4-door coupe launched in India, prices start from Rs 69.90 lakh
- 2022 Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza spotted filming ahead of its launch
- Kia EV6 bookings open in India ahead of June 2 launch